What is Home Insurance?
When you purchase a home you need to think of it as more than a place to live and raise a family. You need to think of your home as an investment. Like any other investment you make, including your car, fine jewelry, or even you body, you need to protect your home from damage. Home insurance, or HOI, is a type of property insurance that is designed to protect the structures on your property, including your house, garage and barns along with other your personal possessions within the boundaries of the policy.
What does a home insurance policy protect against?
Each home insurance plan is different and can offer varying coverage for your home and your possessions. Also known as homeowners insurance and hazard insurance, traditionally home insurance policies cover damage or loss due to:
- Fires – unless the damage is arson by the homeowner
- Weather – this includes windstorms, hurricanes, snow, sleet, rain and hail.
- Explosions – this could include appliance explosions or gas pipes.
- Vehicle Damage – Such as a car or plane crashing into your home.
- Theft – or vandalism caused during a break in.
- Civil Disturbance – Including riots not incited by someone in the home.
- Accidental Overflows – From appliances or plumbing.
These are just the basics, of course, and the type and amount of coverage you have will depend on the area in which you live and the home insurance policy you purchase. It is always best to consult an insurance agent before purchasing a homeowners policy. HomeInsurance.org can help you find a low cost policy in your area quickly and easily.
What types of home insurance coverage are available?
When you find a low cost home insurance quote from HomeInsurance.org, an agent will contact you with the policy details. There are a wide array of coverages available but the standard home insurance policy should include at the very least these coverages.
- Dwelling – Pays for the replacement of the home or repairs to the home if it is damaged by a covered incident.
- Personal Property – Covers damage or loss to personal property inside a covered structure on the property. Covered items include clothing, electronics and paintings.
- Structures – This area of a home insurance policy covers damages to garage, barns or sheds on your property.
- Loss of Use – Helps cover the expense for an alternative dwelling, such as a hotel or even an apartment, if your home is not livable due to a covered incident.
- Medical Payments – This coverage reimburses you for medical bills if a non-family member is injured on your property.
- Personal Liability – A very important coverage, personal liability protection will give you financial protection if someone files a lawsuit due to damage to their property or bodily harm.
Should I get flood insurance?
If you live in what is considered a flood zone then flood insurance is not only a wise decision, it may be a requirement. Damages from floods, as many people have unfortunately learned, are not covered by traditional home insurance. Even if you are not in a flood zone there is still a risk from flooding due to rain, snow and other outside elements. Talk to your home insurance agent to see if flood insurance is right for you.
Whether you are a new home owner or getting ready to pay off your mortgage, home insurance is one of the most important purchases you can make. HomeInsurance.org is dedicated to helping you find low cost homeowners insurance quotes online quickly and easily. Just answer a few simple questions and we will find you multiple quotes from reputable insurance companies any time of day. Let us help you find a low cost home insurance quote today!